U.S. Economic Radar – October 4, 2013HFA Staff
With the government shutdown, U.S. economic releases have been sparse this week. However, there are a few government employees still working. They, along with some private institutions, did release some very important data, so the week has not been entirely empty.
A recap of this week’s U.S. economic events:
- ADP projected that 166k private payrolls were added in September.
- The ISM Manufacturing PMI expanded to 56.2 in September.
- The ISM Non-Manufacturing NMI remained in expansion but declined to 54.4 in September.
- The Chicago PMI expanded to 55.7 in September.
- The Dallas Fed’s Manufacturing index jumped to +12.8 in September, it’s highest reading since March 2012.
- Light weight motor vehicle sales decreased in September to a SAAR of 15.28 million.
- Initial jobless claims for the week were a seasonally adjusted 308k. The insured unemployment rate increased to a seasonally adjusted 2.3%.
- M2 increased 0.35% week over week.
- Weekly store sales data was fairly dull.
Further U.S. economy reading this week:
Economic releases that were skipped this week and will presumably be published sometime next week when the government gets it act together:
- Employment Situation – Last +169k nonfarm payrolls, U-3 at 7.3%.
- Construction Spending – Last up 6.4% Y/Y.
- Factory Orders – Last up 1.9% Y/Y.
All U.S. leading economic indicators, where they currently stand, what their trend has been, and how their current status relates to the historical movement in that indicator.
Schedule for the week ahead, assuming the government is active:
Monday, October 7, 2013
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program / Food Stamps – Last SNAP-to-Employed at 33.2%.
- Consumer Credit – Last up 5.3% Y/Y.
- Gasoline Prices – Last at $3.61 per gallon.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
- International Trade – Last monthly trade deficit at $39.1 billion.
- Weekly Store Sales
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
- FOMC Minutes
Thursday, October 10, 2013
- Treasury Statement – Last 12 month budget deficit at $680.1 billion.
- Weekly Initial Jobless Claims
- Weekly Money Supply
Friday, October 11, 2013
- Producer Price Index – Last at +1.4% Y.Y.
- Retail Sales – Last up 4.7% Y/Y.
- Consumer Sentiment – Last at 77.5.
- Business Inventories – Last inventories-to-sales at 1.28.